Sunday, July 20, 2008

Taala Choron K Liye Nahi Hota (Lock is not for the thieves..)

So many times, I come across situations where I find people cribbing about the system. And most of the time, I find them cribbing about the good things which they don't like to do. For example, waiting for few minutes at the office gate and get their bags or cars checked, maintaining the speed limit while driving, waiting at a traffic signal where less traffic is coming from the other side et cetra et cetra. They will always have questions like:-Why do they have checks even for the employees, why can't they let me drive as fast as I can when roads are empty ? Don't they trust us ?.

And whenever I land up in these kind of conversation/discussions; I find myself always giving the same example which I heard from my father when I was a kid, and that is "Beta! taala choron k liye nahi hota hai, vo to shareef logon k liye hota hai taaki vo apni sharaafat se naa dugmaga jaayen! (Son!lock is not for the thieves, it is only for the honest people so that they don't loose their honesty after getting the freedom). I don't know at what age I heard this line, but I found it appropriate in various moments of life. Let me give you few good examples here:

In India, what is the necessity of the traffic person at the signal ? Do you think that one person can catch all the who break the signal ? or is he going to run behind every other person who breaks the signal ? No dear! he is not going to run behind most of the people. But he, being there, making sure that majority of the nice people ,standing there at the signal, don't try to do it because they are honest; and even though they want to break it, they will not do it if that guard is standing there. I hope you understand what I am trying to say, as you know the difference at the signal with and without that person standing there anyways.

For the friend in Austin, dear friend it is not just about money, but it is also about safety when you are driving on the highway because it's not only the talent of the drive or the vision of the drive which plays a role, but according to me it is the reflex time/speed also taken under consideration when making those kind of rules (keeping an average driver in mind). So there might be a case that you are good driver, but after crossing a particular speed limit, your reflexes or the braking capacity of the cars may not be good enough to stop at a required distance. And other thing as you said yourself that "it is to stop other people from breaking the rules as well...".

In fact, if you observe the Nature also, you will find that it has portrait these kind of things in one or the other form. It has put attraction forces between every two particles to keep the things in shape (or I would call it descipline!). The moment this force become less, disorder takes over (liquid, gases etc...).

So coming back to my original point, for all those who feel irritated every morning (including me :-)) when the security guy is checking your bags (or on the highway with in the speed limits or anywhere else ), please try to understand that he is not trying to catch a thief everyday (as all theives are much more smarter than the guy sitting there), but he is stopping other people to become thief :-), or try to think in those lines. And trying to make the society a better place to live...

No comments: