Monday, September 22, 2008

Me and My boss!

DISCLAIMER: If you are my past,present or future boss, and reading this; please stop after reading the first paragraph itself :-), and if I am your present or future boss, then stop reading immediately. ;-)

Some how I never had a trouble with my boss(s) till now (touch-wood). Surprised right! So what's wrong in that ? I should be delighted. Did I say, I am not ? Yes,I am :-)

But the problem arises, when hoi polloi around me come up with this kind of things to me. And I am expected to either solve that, or at least solace them in some way or the other. To be very frank, most of the times I really don't find the problem as problem at the first place, and secondly I don't find the issue from the boss side :-(. May be because, I know that boss is anyways boss, and he will always do what is good for him (or the company). Is that wrong anyways ? So, what I finally end up trusting is, you have to take care of yourself, in your own way.

So, I always find myself enjoining people that actually it is their own faults. They always sit mum all the time hoping that their boss, and colleges will empathize them, and take the actions accordingly. But my dear friends!, it doesn't work this way. You need to plan your own career; you are not suppose to enjoy (and not use your brain), and someday find yourself complaining. You need to be proactive to guess where the things are going, and start working on them immediately. Else, according to me, you are not eligible for quetching. After all, baby who cries gets the milk! So you can take it the way you want. You can say that I am not going to coax the boss or whatever. But this is how the world works. What you need to understand and accept is,informing the boss what you want is not cajoling, and boss is also a human being, and he is not going to get a dream what you want. This is a relative and comparative world, and if you say that because you are good at your work, and only because of that you should get the best things (opportunities, promotions et cetra) , then you need to make sure that "that work" is not define by you yourself. What you do, and what you are expected to do are two different things. And what is important is, "what you are expected to do!". Not because your boss wants it, but because there is a possibility that what your boss is expecting is actually the necessity of the time,even if you are not able to see it or feel it.

So if you want to be happy in your professional life, please make sure that you at least take care of the following extra things (I am assuming that you at least do your work well, and good at it as well - at least what you define as work!).

- You must know that this is a competitive as well as comparative world. So please make sure your actions are always based on these. Don't worry, planning your ownn success does not mean that you are going to be a bad guy. Just don't hurt others, but it doesn't mean that you hurt yourself. Remember that, if you are not happy, you can not keep people around you happy anyways. So, you should be the highest priority for yourself! (I know it sounds to be little selfish, and yes, it is!).
- You should know that Rome was not built in a day, so you need to plan your actions for your future.From today, and everyday that follows.
- You nee to be aware of the surroundings, and what is changing there. And make sure that you are taking actions to cope up with those changes so that cirumstances favor you."Luck favors the brave" or I call it as "Luck favors the prepared".
- Ignorance is foolishness!
- You are suppose to know what you want. And you are suppose to convey this to your boss. He is not suppose to read your forehead, and guess what you want. You may argue why, so my point here is " how many times you have increased the salary/perks of your servants unless he/she cribs ?"
- Once you are in the industry, yo need to leave your image of being a kid. So, the sooner you grow up in your thinking, the faster you grow in the ladder.People might appreciate your nature on being a kid, but company is their to make money, so make sure that your actions are aligned with your companies progress.
- Every action of yours is noticed. Don't think that people around you are fool, or ignoring what you are doing.
- You can either be a leader, or a follower, up to you to decide.
- Finally, "knowledge, used in the right way ,and at appropriate time", pays off.
- If you are suppose to deliver something, then you are suppose to tell what all you need do complete it. So if you ask what you want and deliver it is just fine, But if you did not ask, and could not deliver the things, then it is a "havoc"! And you are the one who is responsible for that..
- As I told in my previous blog, Hard work put "everyday" pays off the most.Make sure that you are doing the hard work to achieve your noble goal, but at the same time, not making "hard work" as your noble goal. If possible, work hard, but don't make the "work" hard.
- One thing which I found always true about the job is, first you have to show confidence that you can do something, and then you have to prove it by doing it. If seeing the work you feel that it looks impossible, and you don't know if it can be done then may be just follow the below line, and I bet that it will work for you " In the beginning, every thing looks impossible, then improbable, and then INEVITABLE".. Once you do this couple of time, you and your bosses both will know that you can actually handle anything given to you :-).
- If your boss is happy with your, and your bosses boss is happy with you, your success is almost guaranteed :-).(It does not mean that you have to buy vegetables for your boss everyday... )

Even after doing all the above, if you still find yourself in the same place, then. I should really say that I don't have answers for you (right now..) , or may be you are not ready to accept that problem lies in one of these area(as far as my knowledge is concerned...)

No comments: